Mount Aenos: Its highest peak is Megas Soros at an altitude of 1628 m. Aenos was totally covered with dark green fir forests in ancient times. Much later during the period of the Venetian rule it became widely known as Monte Negro – or “black mountain” – because its forests gave it a dark appearance when viewed from afar. In 1963 Mount Aenos was declared a National Park by the Greek State. The largest part of Mount Aenos is covered exclusively by the unique Kefalonia fir species (abies cephalonica). The forest flora also includes many species of wild flowers and mushrooms, and its fauna includes various species of reptiles, birds such as the woodpecker, blackbird, and hawk, as well as mammals. These include the horses of Aenos, a species unfortunately threatened with extinction. They belong to the Pindos breed of horses and are small, strong and have great power and endurance.
Drogarati Cave: consists of two caverns, the first of which was once an extension of the main cave. The part of the cave that is now opened to the public consists of a large chamber about 100 m long. This is divided into two areas by massive stone blocks that have broken away from the roof, forming a natural platform decorated with translucent stalactites, called the Royal Balcony. It has exceptionally good acoustics and has been converted into a concert hall seating an audience of 500.
Melissani Lake/Grotto: A legend speaks of a shepherdess called Melissanthi who fell into the lake while searching for her lost sheep, while others associate it with the Nymph Melissanthi who drowned herself in the lake when Pan rejected her love. The cave-lagoon is over 150m long. Part of its roof has collapsed, admitting sunshine into its interior. This reflects off the water and creates wonderful images. The effect is enchanting especially when the sun’s rays fall vertically on the surface of the water, causing its still, green blue depths to shimmer and sparkle. Today tourists tour this underground lake in boats and get to admire the stalactites and stalagmites which cover the cave walls.
The Fortress of St. George: atop a hill rising to 300m, it was originally fortified by the Byzantines. In 1500 it was captured by the Venetians and it was in 1504 when construction of an outer fortification wall began . During the period of the Venetian rule the fortress was the seat of the Venetian governors of the island, and also the place in which the inhabitants of the surrounding area sought refuge in time of danger. This led into an increase in the population inside the walls. At some point in time the population of St. George was as high as 14,000 people, most of whom were engaged in the manufacture of leather goods. When Argostoli became the capital in 1757, the fort began gradually to lose its importance and went into decline.The location offers beautiful views of Zakinthos.
The Fortress of Assos: built by the Venetians, who in the 16th c. fortified the top of the rocky hill that forms the Assos peninsula, rising to a height of 170 m. The peninsula juts into the deep blue waters of the Ionian Sea and its accessible only by way of a narrow strip of land 51m. wide linking it with the main island. In 1584 the people of Kefalonia requested of the Venetian authorities to build a second fortress to protect them against pirate raids. Work began in 1593 on the construction of the fort in Assos, which became the seat of the Venetian provveditore until 1797.Although it was designed to be the capital of Kefalonia, after the transference of the administration from the fortress of St. George, these plans were never implemented. After 1864, when the fort of Lefkas was captured by the Venetians, the fort of Assos lost its strategic importance. It has two gates, the imposing main gate with the coat-of-arms.